The Lay School at 7 Eddy Avenue in Lay, Moffat County, Colorado, was a one-room schoolhouse from 1911-1959 and a community building from 1961-1981. It was purchased by the Augusta Wallihan Chapter NSDAR in October 2010.
Additional information can be found on the NSDAR Historic Sites and Properties Database, the Lay School record in the National Park Service National Register of Historic Places Program, or this article, published by the Craig Daily Press November 2, 2010.
Since acquiring the Lay School, the August Wallihan Chapter NSDAR has worked to restore the building. So far Augusta Wallihan members, their husbands, and volunteers have gutted the school, replaced rotten roof beams, restored windows with period glass, reroofed, and painted the exterior. A modern outhouse has been constructed for the comfort of the volunteers. The chapter is currently installing electric wiring and refinishing floors. We welcome all who would like to volunteer.